Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Is this what I am supposed to do?

It is now January 1st and we are all under the auspices of the Electoral Finance Act.

From time time to time (alright, quite often) I comment on things pertaining to New Zealand Politics. Am I now supposed to stop doing this? Am I now limited to witty observations on the pictures of Yorkshire terriers peering out of shopping bags that are currently filling the newspapers? Am I allowed to comment on Brendan McCullum hitting eighty of twenty eight balls? I'm sure the nerds at the newly appointed media watchdog agency can find some political spin to put on that. McCullum deliberately set out to win the game and was therefore contravening the 'everybody is equal' policy of the Peoples Republic of Aoteoroa. Lauding his efforts is therefore in support of the National Party and Act. Go to Jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. No I can't live like that.

I have just wandered over to read Monsieur Whaleoil for my daily dose of right wing vitriol (and I feel better already). He obviously feels the same concerns as myself; probably much more so as he is a 'prominent right wing blogger'. He has just published this:

I assert that this website is a blog and published by me on a non-commercial basis, and any views expressed on it by me are my personal political views and under paragraph (g) of Section 5(2) of the Electoral Finance Act, is not an election advertisement.

I further assert that this website is a news media Internet site and that all posts on here are written by me, as the editor, solely for the purpose of informing, enlightening or entertaining readers, and hence also is not an election advertisement under paragraph (d) of Section 5(2) of the Electoral Finance Act.


Now doesn't that look all spiffy and official? I'm sure legally it is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike but it looks good and it'll do me.

I hereby say wot 'e said.

There you go. I'm all kosher again.

This Labour government is a bunch of venal left wing ratbags and you should all avoid voting for them as if your life depended on it - which it does.

All correspondence C/O The Slammer, Mount Eden.

No comments: