Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Ex school teachers

I supposed we are obliged to give Benson Dope some airtime, but quite why we should bother with anything other than giving him the finger is beyond me.
I have no real objection to lousy school teachers as a group. I realised this about forty years ago when Hugh Glanville, who would teach me about the Wars of the Roses, insisted on calling me Tibble and beating me with a size twelve gym shoe. That he was a lousy teacher held my wrath for only a short time as I realised a wonderful truth - I could ignore him and my life would not change. As an aside he was the first person I was aware of that wore elastic sided boots (cool) and he drove an Austin Healey 3000 to school (way cool).
Having said that, why do we have to put up with Benson Dope? The whole affair is rotten to the core and exposes some worrying but not well hidden traits of the current administration. But to have B-D at the bottom of it somehow makes it worse. He is a duplicitous worm of the first magnitude. His utterences concernig all this are true to the form we first saw over the tennis ball/duct tape affair. The adjective snivelling could have been invented just for him. He tells porkies wholesale and I'm not sure he could lie straight in bed. He was interviewed on the box last night. 'Minister, are you an honest man?' 'I do my job to the best of my ability'. Well I suppose in an oblique sort of a way he has answered the question - 'No'. I see in the paper this morning he points out to us, the great unwashed, that he is not being economical with the truth because we, ignorant peasants that we are, do not understand the difference between being 'briefed' and being 'informed'. He was informed about the blatant political manipulation of an employment issue but was not briefed about it. So that makes it alright. Well no it doesn't. Your wriggling and misuse of the English language just paints you as an even more worthless a member of the human race than we already thought you were - if that were possible.
Beyond the total lack of value of the personnel of the whole sorry affair there are, of course, a couple of principals (or more likely lack thereof) that should be more worrying. The first is the fact that the Minister is prepared to take no responsibilty for the actions of his department. B-D thinks that just because he did not actually make the 'phone call and throws a few mots du weasel at us he is in the clear. Sad thing is that I reckon he really believes it. The equally (maybe more) worrying fact that all this rams home is the paranoea this administration feels when anyone without their warped political view of the world gets too close to their bastions of power.
Scary totalitarian stuff. They have to go.

No comments: