Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Included in a list of things I really need is..........

....one of these



Now, don't get me wrong, I am entirely satisfied with my lot. Life is going along swimmingly. I like the rump of a job I have maneuvered myself into, I live in a house that fits the bill perfectly, there are no family dramas on the horizon and I have a circle of very agreeable friends. My major worries are around my current dearth of inner skirts for marlin lures coloured 'Dorado' and whether it will stop raining long enough tomorrow for me to get the tractor out. But, having said all that, I really do need a DB9. I love the Jag but a gunmetal grey Aston would look just perfect nestling up against the XKR in the garage.

So it was I found myself perambulating around 'TradeMe.co.nz' pretending to be looking for airbrooms, electric fence posts and drill presses. There is a 2005 object of my desire for sale in Auckland. Mileage a bit high at 26,000 and so the asking price would have to be scythed - but it is gorgeous. Cream leather as well. I was having a quiet drool when my attention is distracted by this:

This vehicle has a fuel consumption of 16.6L per 100km, an annual fuel cost of $4,300 and a fuel economy rating of 1.0 out of 6. (Source: Fuelsaver)

There is then a link to a bloody government website. There is a new regulation that demands (good old compulsion) fuel consumption is prominently displayed on any car advert. If you are physically advertising the car at the side of the road or something you are supposed to have one of those puerile eco friendly stickers like you get on a new fridge stuck on the car. It is despoiling an Aston Martin putting a rego sticker on the windscreen and it is certainly just not on putting a greeny weird beard sticker anywhere near such a fine piece of automotive engineering.

Several things. Is there no corner of my life into which this damned administration won't stick its beak? It won't even let me think about buying the car of my choice without wagging its finger at me and telling me I should be buying a 6 star car that runs on a thimble full of linseed oil a fortnight.
Any car this government would have me drive I wouldn't touch with yours. If I want to buy a 6 litre V12 and spend $83 a week on petrol I bloody well will. I am delighted the Aston only gets one star. Hang on, no I'm not - I wish it got none. Also the government is a bunch of dick heads because there is no way you could get 16.6L/100km out of a 6 litre V12. I average about 15L/100km doing far too much town driving in a supercharged 4 litre V8

What pleasure is there left in the real world? The more I think of it however I am getting closer to a solution. I now live out of the city, I have some land, I can see no one once the gates shut behind me and I drive the 300m to the house. I have power, am self sufficient of water (as long as it rains now and then) and have the internet. I will buy what ever cars, power tools and boats I fancy and the rest of you can do whatever you please.

No comments: