Saturday, July 11, 2009

This annoys me

I know it shouldn't. It has nothing to do with me. Just ignore it and let it go. But.....

There was a recently a round of the Australian V8 Supercar Series in Hamilton. So far so good. Not my cup of tea but all good, noisy, fossil fuel wasting stuff. This had the extra attraction of being a street circuit. And I must confess the idea of big grunty cars doing 250 kph past Whitcoulls and The Mad Butcher with the council and traffic police having to just grin through gritted teeth and do nothing adds a certain piquancy to the whole affair.

But the Jobsworths of the world were not to be outdone. A couple of enterprising people who owned properties overlooking the circuit climbed onto their roof for a free squizz. Well you would, wouldn't you? The bloody Council then slaps a $1500 fine on them for breaching building regulations. One of the owners of the Scotsman's Stands quite rightly told them to bugger off. Mr bleeding Council initially dropped back into the comfy slippers of 'them's the regulations' but eventually took legal advice and backed down.

Why so? Because legal advice was that if the punters fell off the roof the Council would not be liable......but having a free watch of the V8s from your roof is still illegal as it still breaches the building code. Next time they do it they will just get a warning.

Well, Hamilton City Council, you are pack of wankers of the first magnitude. If I want to stand on my roof, what I own, sitting on my property, what I own, for any purpose I see fit, I will bloody well do so. I couldn't give a rat's arse about your bloody regulations, building or otherwise. If I fall off it will likely hurt; that will be my problem and nothing to do with you. Sod off.

No comments: