Saturday, June 18, 2011

We shall see, shall we?

The stirrings to resurrect this blog have been nagging at me for a couple of months now and I think I may just do it. Winter is upon us (not that current ambient temperatures would tell you that) and lots of changes have occurred since I last put finger to keyboard on a regular basis. I have done the unthinkable and bought a diesel car; that will get its own post in a wee while. I am comfortable that my weekly trips to the Nation's capital and being a blogger don't have to be mutually exclusive. I have become an airline snob. I have tired of Top Gear. I have been back to the UK and found it still hideous but the origin of QI. I still hate left wing politicians and followers of that ilk continue to attract my utmost contempt. However the urge to just hurl opprobrium at anything on the lefthand side of life's road has waned a little and I really want to avoid this blog returning to its political roots. Having said that though there is a general election in the offing and the temptation to point the borax will I'm sure prove too much on occasion.

We shall see where my new found urge to scribble may take me, shall we? If the urgings to blog again have been bubbling under for a while the catalyst to actually breaking out the keyboard has come from a most unexpected quarter. I was perusing a few old posts and looked at the counter thingy at the bottom of the page. Just over 16,000 page views in just over three years. Now this is not world shattering stuff is it? Many reasons for this of course; the principal of which is probably that the content is drivel and no one would want to read it.

So I thought I'd try a little experiment. A spot of Twittering. Resurrect the Blog on the back of a brand spanking new Twitter account and see what all this social media nonsense is all about.

Just over a year ago I opened a Facebook page just so I could get one for my lure selling business. The medium appeals to me not at all. I found (and, indeed, still find) the whole Facebook thing horrible. I don't like 'friend' concept at all. I have shut down the personal side of the Facebook thing in as much as I never go there and just try and keep the 'Business' side of things ticking over; put 'Marine Surprises' in the Facebook search bizzo if you are remotely interested. The idea of course is that the game fishing world will beat a path to my virtual door and I will receive an avalanche of orders. Well, it doesn't work. Maybe I am not doing it right, but all I get is requests to be friends from people who I have never met and am never likely to. Granted all these people have pictures of beeeg fish or flash looking game boats as their avatars and I have a couple of hundred of these new close mates now but none of them buy any sodding lures.

After reflecting on this failure of an idea that has made a bloke a billionaire I have been mulling oveer the Twitter idea for a while. I think I find it a little more appealing. The idea of just announcing things sounds quite good and I think (hope?) I will have a bit more control with what I want to do with it. I am a bit scared that I might turn into a Premier League footballer and the havoc that could wreak on my life but I am reassured that I have an IQ greater than 13 and I don't drink.

So obald@home is going to be linked into Twitter. Should be good for a lark for a wee while n'est ce pas?


No comments: