Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Hang on, you can't say that

The rise of the Maori party has been interesting to say the least. Spawned on the seabed and foreshores of the land they have been a tolerable part of the political landscape for a couple of years. They have Hone Whatsisface who is barking but you can just ignore him. Pita Sharples looked very good around the death of the Kahui twins and usually Tariana Turia has her greatest value in being the politician with the lowest centre of gravity in the world. I defy anyone to knock her over.

However she has shown a scary side of her persona with her opinion that tagging is not a crime but merely an alternative form of expression. Well, sorry lady the Crimes Act says that tagging is a crime and is punishable with three months in the slammer. Who the hell does she think she is, standing up and unilaterally declaring that she choses to ignore a part of the code of law? The vast majority of people (and I would definitley include myself in that number) regard the 'street art' as no more than wilful damage. Where is the distinction between her daft and irresponsible statement and my declaring that I don't regard speeding as a crime (which I don't - well sort of- well daft speeding - well 120 when I say so is OK - well you know what I mean). It was also noteworthy that Turia managed to squeeze the evils of the colonial subjugation of oppressed indigenous minorities into her whinings.

No the Maori Party have to go in the bin with the rest of them.

No comments: