Saturday, July 26, 2008

As long as three rainy days

Blogs are repositories of opinion and one (read me) has to be careful not to regard them as surrogate newspapers. However on such a dire morning as today has offered up I have found myself persuing indoor pursuits instead of my normal habit at this time of the week, that of ruining a good walk by taking along a set of golf clubs.

Spent a couple of hours finishing off a couple of DVDs a good mate lent me for the weekend. These, I will admit, are an acquired taste being video transcripts of the 25th European Therapeutic Endoscopy Symposium held in Brussels last year. All the megastars were performing making the very difficult look absurdly easy although I was a little disappointed that Horst Neuhaus didn't make the editor's cut. I reckon he is the Renaldo of the endoscopy world at the moment. It is interesting how the megastars whose mastery of skills one aspired to get even close to are no longer invited to these meetings. You become yesterday's man in this field as in any other. John Snow supplants F S Truman, Richie McCAw moves into Michael Jones place and Sergio Garcia replaces Greg Norman. So Paul Fockens gets the invite in front of Nib Soehendra, and a bloke you've never met from Milan sits up the front the plane instead of Jerry Waye. However that is the way of life and even if you are yesterday's man form is temporary and class is permanent. Greg Norman came perilously close to winning the British Open last week and I would still be more than happy having Soehendra fiddling around in my common bile duct.

Having had enough of mainlining therapeutic endoscopy I wasted a wee while in the Blogosphere. I am a regular visitor to Kiwiblog for an acceptable right wing view of the world (David Farrar used to be a Bolger staffer after all) and there is a reasonable synopsis of opinion regarding the farce that is the Peters scandal (and it is no less than that) from newspapaers up and down the land. I think it is just a matter of waiting now as there cannot be much life left in the corpse of Peters' political career surely. He is acting true to form with bluster, aggressive name calling and ridicule but I can't see it washing this time. Picking a fight with Bob Jones was not a good move. Sir Robert has this morning accused Winston of blatant lying. Hard to come back from that and I can't see Peters using the courts to sue him as a tactic this time.

OK the next place to go for a bit of right wing bile and vitriol is Whaleoil's place. Cultured and civilsed this blog is not. Slater will punch your lights out and then ask questions of the remains. Good enjoyable stuff and I go back on a regular basis because his dislike of the left borders on rabid hatred even more than mine does - just. Mr W is very good with the little pisstake videos and has been known to turn his hand to using one of Adobe's products. I am grateful to the large marine mammal for the following picture. Not his best Photoshop effort from a technical point of view but it is brilliant.



If you don't understand it you are far too young.

No comments: