Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Speak proper like what I do

The only thing worthy of attention in the Herald this morning is on A2. The rest of the paper is still in R'n'R mode with kids still jumping off wharves and fluffy pets in shopping bags. I don't know what is worse this rubbish or the usual rubbish. I suspect that when the Beehive gets back in session I'll be pining for pictures of yorkshire terriers licking icecreams. Goes to illustrate what a basically un-newsworthy place this really is.

For those of you (are you listening #2 daughter?) who think that TXT SPK is an acceptable way of written communication in the real world there is a great story from Whangarei. Due to sloppy writing of by laws on the grammatical front owners of seventy year old cars as opposed to seventy year old owners of cars can apply for free parking permits. Marvellous. And to make it even better a bloke who owns a 1936 Morris has gone ahead and got one. There should be more of this sort of stuff. Over regulate my life if you must but at least do it with proper regard for the English language. I am as much in favour of grammatical correctness as I am opposed to most of what 'political correctness' stands for.

No comments: