Thursday, April 19, 2007

Change afoot

In a somewhat philosophical mood this morning. Scanned the paper over the brekkies as is my won't and I really can't raise the enthusiasm for having yet another go at Helen/the global warming scam/OSH/ bureaucrats in general/dreadful law and order set up/ trees/ Keith Locke etc. etc.

Garth George is an oasis of common sense in the desert of daily life most Thursdays and today he does not disappoint but in a most unexpected way. Then a few moments later I had a rider from a most unexpected quarter that has reinforced my view that here is no such thing as coincidence.

Garth is leaving Auckland and uses his quarter page to give us his reasons. I won't go into these in detail but they revolve around the City having morphed from a pleasant metropolis to a unihabitable megaslum (my description not his) over thirty or so years. The inference from his piece is that the pace of change is set to increase and not slow. I then gave but a cursory glance to the rest of the Herald and checked my email inbox for overight arrivals. There, colour coded in purple for overseas friends, is a missive from my ex roomate from University days announcing that he has handed in his notice and will be retiring with effect October 31st.

As I said there no such thing as coincidence in this life. The Obald world is on the threshold of some major changes.

No comments: