Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Preserve us from this crap

Can you believe this patronising rubbish I found on Scoop ?

Youth Encouraged to Make the Most of Summer
Tuesday, 8 January 2008, 9:28 am
Press Release: New Zealand Government
Youth Encouraged to Make the Most of Summer

Youth Affairs Minister Nanaia Mahuta is today encouraging young people to make the most of summer.

“The holidays are great for spending time with families and relaxing before they return to work or studies for another year. It’s also a great time to soak up the fantastic opportunities and creativity our country has to offer,” says Nanaia Mahuta.

“There is the outdoors, visiting galleries, writing poetry, or simply getting in some summer reading - not to mention getting their short films in for the ID360 competition which is a wonderful way for the young people of Aotearoa/New Zealand to tell the world about themselves and what identity and diversity means to them.”

ENDS

'There is the outdoors'. OK, marlin don't live in the front room. 'Visiting galleries' - well my twenty year old daughter would actually do this but she hasn't enough in her piggy bank to pop over to the Louvre on a regular basis. There just is not the volume of quality galleries in New Zealand. I suppose the Mahuta regards trackside graffiti as 'peoples art' or some such tosh. There is certainly truckloads of that.

And then we have the little winner - 'writing poetry'. Now how many 'young people' do you know who on a Friday night say 'Shall we go down the boozer, do a few burnouts, crash a party or write some poetry?' I mean it just doesn't happen - well it doesn't on the planet I walk about on.

Who has heard of ID360? I'm waiting. I'm not going to write a poem today because I'll be turning down an opportunity as a young person of Aoteoroa/New Zealand to tell the world about myself and what identity and diversity means to me. I'll go and make a short film about that once I've found out what it is. Ms Mahuta, were you drunk when you composed this Governmental Press Release? I suppose at least that is normal behaviour for a 'young person of Aoteoroa/New Zealand'. And while you are at it, you waste of space, I live in New Zealand and not Aoteoroa/New Zealand

Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks and I pay for it. Enough - they have to be out on their collective ear. The Mahuta could then try and get a real job instead of sucking up my money in return for spewing out such errant nonsense.

With a name like hers, perhaps riding elephants might be her calling.

No comments: