Monday, September 4, 2006

Eric & Hone

I need a holiday. Last time I had any time off work was for the Houhora One Base and I'm rooted. It was, therefore, with a heavy heart that I scoffed the last Marmite soldier, put down the paper and got into Britain's finest example of automotive engineering for the short drive to the fields. Everything is better now as Hauraki was playing Cream's live version of Robert Johnson's 'Crossroads' off the 1968 'Wheels of Fire' album to fill the journey - I told you it was a short trip. Crank up the Harman Kardon to warp factor 23 and the world's troubles disappear. This track contains the best bit of guitar work ever in the history of the universe bar none. No, no, no I don't want to hear any 'But Hendrix on....' or any of that twaddle. You are all wrong. 'Crossroads' live by Cream is unsurpassable.
Certainly takes the mind off the cess pit that is New Zealand politics. The arrogance of Honewera Whatisface is at the same time staggering and predictable. If you accept a place in the white man's parliament you play by the white man's rules, Sonny Jim. And, while we are on it, they ain't the white man's rules they are everybody's rules. You cannot pick and chose which bits of an evolving society you want to adhere to, do what you like on other bits and say 'It's our way'. An integrated society doesn't work like that. I feel like a rant over Society's rights and obligations versus those of the individual coming on but that would disturb the inner calm that Eric Clapton has just bought me so it can wait for another day. I've no doubt at all another opportunity will present itself before long.

No comments: