Friday, May 11, 2007

Au revoir

Off on my travels for a couple of weeks this afternoon and will be swapping the New Zealand Herald for the Straits Times (Singapore) and the Washington Post (Washington obviously). I'm well used to the former as it was my daily fare for many years a decade or so ago. It is a paper that is as bad as the Herald but for differing reasons. I got to the stage where I doubted the veracity of the football results on occasion. I am less familiar with the Washington Post. I shall try and be objective with it and not be swayed by its reputation. If I have the time (likely), inclination (less likely) and/or anything tickles my fancy (more likely) I might report back.
But I depart for foreign shores with a hiss and a roar. As I arrived in New Zealand David Blain was about a month into his sixteen year sentence so I was not around during all the juicy bits. But even that far after the original trial there was enough news detritus for me to be well aware that this was far from straightforward. The only time I have ever seen Joe Karam was at Twickenham when he was standing just beside Grant Batty (free ticket given to me by JPR Williams (who was a classmate at university) for a bit of name dropping) but he seems to have done well. One must be careful not to jump to the conclusion that the Priviy Council decision is correct and all the preceeding ones are wrong but it certainly looks that way. I have long thought that a country as small as New Zealand was treading very dangerous territory having its own Supreme Court and last night's decision form London may well be an example of what can happen.
Must dash - the Koru Lounge awaits.

No comments: