Monday, May 28, 2007

Settling back in

First morning back in the field and I have to say I have yet to get a handle on what is going on. I don't appear to have missed much and my main worry is to try and work out which of the protected ABs was not in the first squad of the season.

The only news I can glean this morning (as opposed to trying to make judgements on things that happened a couple of weeks ago) is the brace of opinion polls that have appeared since the tin bugies spat me out at Mangere in the pre dawn of Saturday.
These in themselves are, of course, not news as they are a reflection of things that have happened in the recent past. That they show this odious administration looking like lumps of meat on the conveyer belt to the mincer is obviously not a disapointment to me. But wait a minute. Is this what it appears? Don't forget that the only poll that matters is still seventeen months away. It is common knowledge that the third term of any administration is very hard (John Howard appears to be bucking this particular trend) but the Headmistress seems to be in deeper doo doos than just that. At last the populace appears to be getting fed up with social engineering (it took them long enough, the dozy buggers) and the Budget (details of which I know not) hasn't had an instant healing effect. This is no surprise from a history graduate. As RH and others quite rightly point out there will be a lolly scramble this time next year and one can only hope that this will be too little too late - I think it will be.
Then we have our old mate Philip Field. I see he has proper charges hanging over him with the possibility of more to follow. With the glacial speed at which court matters proceed here this should all come to the boil nicely at just the right time next year. Although this worthless wretch is now an independant, do not forget that that the time of his alleged transgressions he was a a Labour MP and even better a Labour Minister. I have great confidence, that if properly handled Phil can deliver the goods.
Having Labour 25% behind this morning is obviously way better than having them even 1% in fornt, but don't forget they are still in 'power' and there isn't even a fat lady on the horizen. Cautious optimism is all I can muster.
I see Rudman hasn't died and he is using his prime spot in the rag (how does such a one tracked mind get a billing on page 2?) to prattle on about who should control the distribution of water. Deary me, do I have to exist on a diet of this for the next few months?
I haven't read a paper for a couple of weeks (well you don't when you are on your hols, do you?) and I realise that Granny gives me a lot of amusement from very little substance.

No comments: