Monday, November 19, 2007

Here we go, here we go, here we go

The IPPC has put on its purveyor of doom and gloom hat and come out with more of its imprecise science. They have issued a bull and we are all doomed - again. This time I can't remember whether we all disappear in the conflagration by Thursday or sometime in 2050 - and that is one of their more precise predictions. Global temperatures will rise by between 1.1 and 4 degrees (margin of error there is approaching 400%) and this rise 'could' be 'abrupt' or 'irreversible'. We can stop/slow down/speed up - who cares? - this with only a 5.5% decrease in global GDP over five years (for those of use who don't have the precise grasp on hard sums that these wallies have we are told this is 1.1% per annum) or it could be done with an increase in GDP of 1%.

NCEA exams start today. If you were to put answers like that into any paper that required some sort of scientific precision even the 'no one must fail' mentality of our education system would biff you into the not achieved basket. It is lunacy. This is not the scientific fact that it is being advertised as at all. It is speculation from computer modeling and none of these models has yet to be born out in what eventually happens. There is a US$ 1 million prize out for anyone who can come up with a mathematical model that will predict what a gaseous/ liquid fluid interface (oceans and winds, that sort of stuff) will do over time. They will even pay out if it can be proved that such a model could exist. The money is still up for grabs so get your pencil out and look for the back of a discarded envelope.This pseudo-science cobblers is certainly not the sort of stuff you should be basing national and international policy on. And as usual the dements who run this country (and, to be fair, a lot of other nations) have bought it hook line and sinker because it suits their political (not scientific) purpose and are spending my money on it like drunken sailors.

What can I do about it? More than I do, I suspect. I write about it in these trivial columns and you must trust me that I will cast my vote wisely next year. But I was guilty of dereliction of duty at the weekend. I should have been in Queen Street on Saturday at the Kill The Bill march. I have never done anything like this in my life but I should have been there on Saturday. Leighton Smith went - good grief.

I played golf.

If I and other sensible people carry on like this we will continue to be ruled by this:



Now we really don't want that do we? Do we?

No comments: