Friday, July 21, 2006

Farcical Ingram

Another dull morning. So much so that an hour after perusing our esteemed news organ I can remember hardly anything I read.
There is a rather silly piece on the comments pages penned by a gent in very silly red framed glasses. This has the entirely laudable aim of deriding the farce that is the Ingram report but to my mind fails. It says nothing until the penultimate paragraphs and then just emphasises that here in this gwate place we encourage political immorality of the first magnitude by investigating transgressors with toothless reports that are set up to give the outcomes the incumbent government wants. Earlier in the rag there is a whole 'Yes I did, no you didn't' type piece on whether Ingram asked for broader powers or not only didn't, but couldn't. I know who I believe. Old red glasses draws a very unflattering parallel between this week's farce ond the Watergate enquiry of over thirty years ago. Didn't I do just the same twenty four hours ago? My second reason for the unbecoming emotion of smugness in a day - the first involved a 600lb blue marlin.
Sideswipe has had a rather good thread on etymology running all week which I fear has just about run its course. We'll be back to misspelt road signs next week. There is a bit on a couple who were refused entry into an R16 movie because their child was underage - like 15 years and 11 months underage. Despite protestation the family were evicted as junior might have 'absorbed subliminally' all the stuff his tender mind had to be protected from. As I've said before, there is little point in just reporting this sort of stupidity we have to start doing something about it. Well directed Anglo Saxon epithets would be a good start.

No comments: