Thursday, July 20, 2006

Winston and Singapore

I suspect Winston got nasally dislocated because Cain started talking about free trade which is beyond his brief and he was afronted that he was not allowed to talk about it. Winston then loses control of a situation and I don't think he likes that one little bit.
It does throw into sharp relief what a complete crock Winnie's current bauble of office is though. He is holding down an exceedingly important position whilst effectively being beyond the pale with his ministerial 'colleagues'. He stuffs up and he knows no one will do anything to rein him in. It sucks. The headmistress spent all day avoiding the press so she wouldn't have to talk about and defend totally undefensible conduct from her Foreign Minister. She must hate having to have this non elected double breasted object in her affairs at all. Which brings us back to yesterday and the divergence of idealism and pragmatism. She has to have him so she can stay in power.
God, how I hate politics NZ style. It is all, and I mean all, so false, dishonest and totally divorced from what running a commercially viable country in the real world should be. Rudman mentioned Singapore yesterday. I lived there for a long time and know what I am on about. That's the way to run a small country. You run it like a business (because effectively that is what it is) and if a few small things that we seem to hold so dear here (individual bloody rights over the rights of the whole mainly) get ignored along the way - so be it. Never in the whole time I lived there (thirteen years) did I feel I was oppressed and I enjoyed a standard of living most would give their left arm for.

No comments: