Monday, July 3, 2006

Granny is Born

A few musings collected whilst ingesting the Marmite soldiers prior to another days toil in the fields.

Front Page: The sort of pseudo science/statistics beloved by newspapers re the meningococcal vaccine. Now don't get me wrong, this vaccine is excellent and is probably doing a wonderful job but to report the decline in disease incidence after the introduction of vaccination as 'cause and effect' without presenting the raw data is not good. If it hoodwinks (and it probably is not, as the data is probably pretty much true) me over my brekky who cares but if this is the sort of level of evidence that the Government uses to spend squillions of my money then I am horrifed. I suspect, however, this is true - vide infra Kyoto.

Cartoon: Very good spoof on a Vodafone ad by 'Nagafone'. Get out of my bloody life you lefty, do gooder toads.

Comment near the back: Syndicated (from the Observer as I recall ) as a lot of good stuff in the Herald is. This points out that spending money on the Kyoto Protocol is not only a scientific crock but is also a very poor way of spending money in a value sense if you are going to throw great globs of cash at making the world a better place.

No comments: