Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Discrimination is good

Not sure if this was in the Herald this morning but it was on the News in the car as I drove from one field to the next.
Discrimination. I reckon discrimination is a good thing but, like a lot of things I think are good, my view is at odds with them wot seek to run my life for me. You are not allowed in this gwate country to discriminate against anybody on the grounds of anything - age, race, gender etc. But now it transpires that it is alright to discriminate against people who smoke. This government hates smoking almost as much as it hates, business, commonsense and excellence and therefore apparently smoking is beyond the pale on the discrimination front. The hypocrisy of it is mind numbing.
So I can advertise for a non-smoker for a job I might have going but I can't advertise for a man (as opposed to the other sort) or a Hindu or a person under fifty. Let's have a level playing field here. I want lots more discrimination - if I want to emply a twenty year old, non smoking Miss World look alike I should be able to say so.

No comments: