Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Field - Phoenix like

I don't know whether to be dancing on the rooftops or casting myself off the rooftops over the latest turn in the Man from Mangere tale. I am delighted to have been so wrong in my judgement that he was home free. I am beside myself with despair as to the way in which the final death throws have come about. It looks likely now that he will be on his bike. Only right and proper, of course. But why has he reached this point? Because he is an honourable man? I leave that to your judgement. Beacuse the entire country was of the opinion that he must go? No. He will probably have to go because one woman has decided that he has to - and that woman wasn't my wife. The power that the headmistress has is truly terrifying and very wrong. She has decided enough is enough almost a month after the rest of the country came to the same conclusion and with one incredibly well worded statement the useless baying of the majority is shown up to be just that - useless. Clive James has a bit to say about this and I don't agree with most of what he says. He is of the opinion that the wretch should resign now and escape with some tatters of dignity intact. Sod that. The chance to go down that road was offered to him and he turned it down. There is every indication as I type (and it may have changed by the time you read this) that TFP wants to hang tough. Good. Let his humiliation be a painful and protracted one - he deserves every miserable minute of what I hope is coming to him. Next to Colin James' piece is a side bar laying out the subtle but relentless change in opinion of the headmistress to all this. This side bar is a great service to the nation as it, in the course of about five statements, shows the shift from 'Stand by your Man' to 'Outta here' in tiny increments. All this wearing the teflon suit. It's a bit like watching your hair grow - no difference from day to day but after six weeks you need a haircut. She walks away from this one with her personal standing in most people's estimation untarnished. Wake up, please. Pretty please, wake up. You are watching a pass mistress of self preservation at the peak of her powers - it is very ugly indeed.
As I alluded to some weeks back, the conduct of the South Auckland MP is bad enough but the grubby, grubby machinations that have, and continue, to surround it are a thousand times worse. God I hate it all and I just wish I had an answer. History tells us that this horror regime will go away given time but I am getting older and am daily wondering how long I have to wait.
Bob the Builder. What a breath of 'speak first and put the brain into gear later' fresh air. Of course the majority of New Zealand agree with all he says but they live in a land where they have been brainwashed into thinking that they cannot verbalise it. He is expressing an opinion - that is all. The British Judge (? Lord Denning) famously summed it up in "I abhor what you are saying but defend to the hilt your right to say it'. This no longer applies here - and most of the population don't even abhor what Bob is saying. We live in a society where the minority now rules the majority and it so bad that we are no longer able to criticise anything.

No comments: